The tin whistle is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to get started playing traditional folk music. It is lightweight, portable, easy to play and get hold of as well as being available in many different keys. Learning the whistle can be a stepping stone to other instruments such as the Flute or Uilleann pipes. Lessons with Becky will help get you off to the right start aiming to get you started on your first tune at the first lesson.
Lessons are offered at the following stages of whistle playing:
- Complete Beginner
Beginners lessons focus on establishing the basics of good whistle technique:-
- Essential techniques to get you started.
- Basic fingering.
- Venturing into the upper octave.
- Breathing and tuning.
- Posture and hand positioning.
- Dealing with squeaks and leaks!
- Your first tune.
- Introduction to Ornamentation – the basics.
- Irish traditional tune types and styles.
This will help you make quick progress and establish a solid basis when you move ahead to Intermediate/Improvers and Advanced levels:–
- Increasing Repertoire (more tunes!)
- Tips and tricks.
- More complex ornamentation types (‘rolls’, ‘crans’, triplets and more!)
- Developing your style.
- Playing with others and in sessions.
- How to ‘practise’ and improve your playing.
- Preparing for performance.
- Moving on to other instruments
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or here for further details and to arrange your lesson