Becky has been teaching traditional music for over 25 years and is experienced in one-to-one tuition, group workshops at festivals and events, and tutoring youth groups. She has great enthusiasm and ability in helping people improve their playing and achieving their goals whether that be learning a new instrument from scratch, brushing up on technique and ornamentation, or increasing repertoire. Her relaxed, easy style will improve your confidence and help you make progress quickly. Complete beginners always welcome!
Comments: Brilliant tutor, lovely to have a tutor who is passionate about the instrument and music. In addition enthusiastic to help me make good progress. Thoroughly recommend her.”
(FirstTutors Comments: 31/01/2020)
Becky currently teaches the following instruments and levels:
- Uilleann Pipes – Beginners, Intermediate/Improvers and Advanced
- Northumbrian Smallpipes – Beginners, Intermediate/Improvers and Advanced
- Tin whistle – Beginners, Intermediate/Improvers, and Advanced
- Fiddle – Beginners, Intermediate/Improvers
- Mandolin – Beginners, Intermediate/Improvers
- Other instruments available on request
Please contact Becky at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details and availability.
Lessons for all instruments are offered in slots of 1 hour or 30 minutes in Settle, North Yorkshire, and via Skype and other online platforms.
Regular lessons: One hour – £35, Half hour – £25
Pre-booked course of 10 lessons – £300
‘Casual’/one-off lesson rate – £40
DBS cleared and insured – certificate available on request.
Discounts for multi-instrument or extended lessons available. All lessons are strictly by appointment only, please contact email@example.com to discuss your requirements.
Cancellations with less than 48 hours notice – full fee payable**.
Cancellations with a weeks notice – 50% fee payable.
**Exceptions for sudden illness and covid isolation requirements, please contact me for details. We regret we are unable to offer cash refunds.
The violin/ fiddle is one of the most popular instruments for playing traditional folk music. It is lightweight, portable, and with a wide range of quality instruments easily available. Lessons with Becky will help get you off to the right start in your fiddle playing aiming to get you started on your first tune within a month of getting going.
Lessons are offered at the following stages of fiddle playing:
- Complete Beginner
Beginners lessons focus on establishing the basics of good fiddle technique:-
- Posture and hand positioning.
- Basic scales, finger position and tuning.
- Basic bowing techniques.
- Your first tune.
- Introduction to Ornamentation – the basics.
- Traditional tune types and styles.
This will help you make quick progress and establish a solid basis when you move ahead to Intermediate/Improvers and Advanced levels:–
- Increasing Repertoire (more tunes!)
- Tips and tricks.
- More complex ornamentation types (‘rolls’, ‘crans’, triplets and more!)
- Developing your style.
- Playing with others and in sessions.
- How to ‘practise’ and improve your playing.
- Preparing for performance.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or here for further details and to arrange your lesson